Companies collect a large amount of sensitive data every day and it is a critical asset. As the level of data increases, so is the vulnerability of hacking.
A hacker needs a few seconds to hack inside a database and get out of it without being noticed. The administrator doesn’t get enough time to register an unwanted presence in the system.
It’s critical to understand the attacks and defense of database security.
Users are given access to more information than is required. They can abuse the database easily. In general, these attacks have two types:
- Companies should have strict access and privilege control policy.
- Do not grant excessive privilege to employees revoke the outdated ones.
This attack happens when an SQL query is injected via the frontend and passed to the backend. This gives access to unlimited information and data to hackers.
- Use of stored procedure.
- No dynamic query.
- Implementation of the MVC model is necessary.
Weak Audit Trail
When the database is not audited regularly, it increases the breach in security, and all the data is at stake. All data should be registered and recorded.
- The use of an automatic auditing solution will not only protect the data but also does not put any additional load on database performance.
Database Backup Exposure
Companies keep backup of data, but these files are ignored and remain completely unprotected from cyber attacks. Backup files are vulnerable to security breaches.
- Encrypt the database and backup files.
- Audit database and backup files.
Vulnerability and Misconfiguration
Most of the time databases remain unprotected due to misconfiguration. Most databases have default accounts and parameters for configuration. Well, database hackers are professionals with inside knowledge, and they can exploit the vulnerabilities of databases.
- Companies shall not have any default accounts.
- A highly qualified IT professional will be able to protect the company from security loopholes.
Denial of Service Attack
DoS attack shuts down the server and makes it inaccessible for the users. Although Dos does not disclose the data, it can cost a lot of time and money. Denial of Service floods the server with fake requests and amplifies it by using other servers too, leading to a crash.
- Decrease connection establishment period.
- increase the size of the TCP connection by hardening the appropriate registry settings.
- Use IDS( Intrusion Detection System).
- A dynamic backlog mechanism would never let the connection get exhausted.
Most companies keep sensitive data without an accurate inventory. Unattended data is prone to hackers. Sometimes it’s not easy to keep track of all the information.
- Encrypt all the sensitive data.
- Apply controls and permission to the database.
- A periodic search should be run for new and old information.
It’s the most common cyberattack in which malicious software gains unauthorized entry into the system and damages the data completely.
- Protect endpoints of databases.
- Setup a special malware protection software.
Most companies are prone to data theft and security breaches because of negligence and vulnerability due to the less secure servers.
A white-hat Hacker can be a good choice in providing safety to your company and clients.